Thursday, 16 October 2014

Cool Things, Amsterdam

Amsterdam is a very cool city with lots of interesting things to see, do and eat. I thought I would share with you a few cool things I encountered during my time in this awesome city.
I know you can get apple pie anywhere but I must say, the few slices I had in Amsterdam are by far some of the best I've ever had. Filled with chunks of delicious apple, not super sweet and always served with a dollop of whip cream.
 One really can't go wrong.
Their flower market is apparently the only floating flower market in the world. It is so much fun to stroll through and admire the beautiful flowers and tulip bulbs. I got my mom some tulip bulbs from here! 
Amsterdam is home to Europe's largest public library, a beautiful building near the main train station. 
There was a really cool exhibit of designs by Dutch designer Marga Weimans.
 Great to see a public library system showing support for the fashion industry! 
The train stations are bustling with trains coming and going every minute. 
Have to say, Dutch trains are very reliable. They arrive on schedule to the minute. 
I wish the Canadian rail system was this efficient!
Hero de Janeiro is a Dutch street artist from Amsterdam. 
The cool street art around Amsterdam gives a fashionable urban edge to the city. 
The Centraal Station is a beautiful building and worth a visit even if you do not take the train anywhere. 
Great place to people watch.
I met this little cutie at the Amsterdam zoo. A lovely way to spend an afternoon!
Amsterdam has a Karl Lagerfeld boutique!! It is located in the ultra hip Nine Streets area full of awesome stores and cafes. 
Our Lord in the Attic is a 17th century house that had a Catholic church hidden in the attic. This was a time when certain religions were not allowed to worship in public. It is really neat to see a full blown church in the attic of a house. 
If you are into history this is a very cool house to visit. 
The Dutch know how to make a very tasty pancake. The Pancake Bakery has the best pancakes in Amsterdam, so good!
It was so sweet to see cats and dogs walking around shops and hanging out right at the doorstep enjoying the beautiful weather.
I walked up the church tower of Westerkerk and got the most beautiful view of the city. 
Another highlight if you are into history and architecture. 
The Stedelijk Museum is the city's modern and contemporary art museum. A very cool place with some great art. 
For me, perhaps the coolest thing to do in Amsterdam was to go for an evening stroll along the canals. 
They are so pretty all lit up. So romantic.

And that concludes my list of cool things to see and do in Amsterdam.
Hope your week is going well, have a great day! 
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. I've been in Amsterdam a couple of years ago. Coincidently it was on queen's birthday and there was a big party all over the city going on. The best experience I ever had. Glad you loved Amsterdam too! :)

    Sarah
    www.powderpurrfect.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

© Sarah Justine Style. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig