Sunday, 8 March 2015

International Women's Day

Happy International Women's Day! Today is about coming together and celebrating the many accomplishments of womankind and also raising awareness of the hardships women still face in this world. One of the first steps to true equality on an international level is for more people to say I am a Feminist. This includes both women and men. There is, unfortunately, often a negative connotation attached to the term feminist. 

It pains me when a girl says I am Not a Feminist. A fashion blogger recently wrote that she was not a "hardcore feminist". A friend once told me she wasn't a feminist. A survey in Cosmo asked the question "Are you a Feminist?" and only half of women responded with a "yes". If young women can't even say I am a Feminist how negative is the term's reputation? Do we know what saying I am a Feminist really means? 

We should all say I am a Feminist (!) 
Because being a feminist means you believe in equal rights of men and women. Being a feminist means you believe that girls should have equal opportunities in education, career, marriage, life. Being a feminist means you believe that women should have the right to their bodies and that all sexual relations should be of equal consent. Being a feminist means you believe that girls should be educated about their bodies and should not be ashamed of their bodies and know they are more than just sexual objects for men. Being a feminist means you believe that girls should be educated to believe that they are equal human beings with brains, integrity and the freedom to be their own person.  

We should all say I am a Feminist (!)
Because being a feminist does not mean you hate men. Being a feminist does not mean you are not happy. Being a feminist does not mean you hate sex. Being a feminist does not mean all you do is rant. Being a feminist does not mean you are ugly. Being a feminist does not mean you don't care about how you look. Being a feminist does not mean you don't shave your legs. Being a feminist does not mean you do not want to get married. Being a feminist does not mean you don't recognize how far women have come and what women, and men, are doing now to better the lives of girls and women.     
This photo is of my grandmother and little sister from years ago. Lets hope that young girls everywhere, one day, can grow up in an environment where they truly believe that they are equal, beautiful and can make their own choices. 
I like my long hair, I like to wear heels, I like to wear dresses, I like men, I like to maintain a healthy weight, I like to read fashion magazines, I like to feel pretty every now and then. I am a Feminist! I know how to use a screwdriver, I know how to ride a horse, I know how to drive a stick shift, I know how to do my taxes, I read the news and know what's going on in the world. I am a Feminist! I really hope you say the same. Actually, I hope you stand up proud, throw your hands in the air and shout I AM A FEMINIST!!   
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Hey! I love your blog so much, so I nominated you to for the 'Versatile Blogger Award'. It's a way to get more followers and help get your blog out there. Check out my most recent post to find out what you have to do!
    Lots of Love, Bethany xo
    http://bethinvogue.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post.
    More power to women
    we deserve it ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES to everything you said! I absolutely love this post and agree with it all.

    XO naomi @ Naomi in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, the outfit is so cute. Love the baby pic lol

    check out my newest post
    xx
    Tyana
    theluxedition.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very engaging post dear! it's so fun to read until the end of it ♥

    http://contemporaryboy.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post and thank you so much for writing it. I wish more bloggers would discuss feminism. There definitely seems to exist a very narrow view about the meaning of feminism, and I think it's very important for people to raise awareness about what it really means.

    -Helen
    Sweet Helen Grace

    ReplyDelete

© Sarah Justine Style. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig